Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:23:02 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 971208 and the nfs rollback didn't fix it...

On Wed, Dec 10, 1997 at 04:18:50PM -0600, Kevin Day wrote:
> > Yes.  Userland programs should NEVER be able to crash the kernel,
> > especially not running as users (instead of root).
> >
> > Now - more details :-)  Do you get a kernel panic when it crash?
>
> 90% of the time, it's just a reboot., No crash, just jumps straight to the
> memory test. The other 10% it give a 'fault on nofault entry' panic.

Have you ruled out faulty hardware?  Do you get the same fault if you
run with the same disk on another machine?  (If not: Is this something
you can afford to test?)

> His .cshrc is essentially empty.

[default .cshrc file removed]

> Our /etc/login.conf is untouched from our install.
>

> I have the entire eggdrop directory .tar'ed if someone wants to play with
> it.

If you can reproduce on other hardware and other installs, it's
probably best to go that way.  If it isn't reproducable I'd guess at a
hardware-dependent problem - that'll be much harder.  It might even be
just a single case of faulty hardware.

Eivind.