Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:04:29 -0600
From:      Chris Miller <chrislist@bariatricsupportcenter.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: USB mouse and keyboard problems with 5.2.1-Release

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 13:43, David Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Chris Miller wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 11:47, John Baldwin wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm, my USB mice all work fine when plugged, unplugged so I'm not sure what
> > > you are running into there.  As far as keyboards, you currently have to tell
> > > FreeBSD to use the USB keyboard via 'kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1' using the PS/2
> > > keyboard (yes, this is rather lame, hopefully someday the keyboard driver
> > > will be fixed to mux the inputs from all the physical keyboards)
> > >
> > When I try that command I get the following:
> > # kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1
> > kbd1
> >     ukbd0, type:generic (0)
> > kbdcontrol: unable to set keyboard: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> >
> > So I'm not exactly sure what to do about it.   The keyboard is an
> > annoyance but not the end of the world.  But the mouse and track pad are
> > making me seriously think about going back to Linux with this machine.

> > > Since you don't have a /dev/psm0, it appears the kernel isn't seeing the
> > > device at all.  Do any 'psm' lines show up in your dmesg?
> >
> > There is no mention of psm anything in dmesg.
> >
> > I have included all the output from dmesg in case it helps.  Of course
> > it made this a real long mail, sorry.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Chris
> >
> > ums0: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, rev 2.00/21.00, addr 2, iclass
> > 3/1
> > ums0: 7 buttons and Z dir.
>
> It's showing the mouse as USB, so you should be able to use it there.  I
> have had a lot of problems getting the optical mice I have to work under
> FreeBSD 5.x, though.
>
> In your rc.conf, you want to make sure to have
> usbd_enable="YES"
>
> and
>
> moused_enable="YES"
> moused_type="auto"
> moused_port="/dev/ums0"
>
> That should work, though, as I said, I've had problems getting it to work
> after 4.9.  Who knows, though, that could have just been my mouse.
>
> David
You missed the fact that the usb mouse works fine when the system is
booted, but it is the track pad that we are trying to get working with
the /dev/psm0.
Although the usb mouse stops working if I unplug it and plug it back in
again.
/dev/psm0 doesn't show up even if the usb mouse isn't plugged in when
the system boots.

Thanks for the input though :)
-Chris