Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:32:06 +0200
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CURRENT's termcap broken

Sheldon,

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 07:35:32PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
# On (2002/08/28 19:04), Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
#
# > Yes, use plain TERM=xterm. It's got color now as it should. I'm thinking
# > of removing xterm-color if I can't resolve the enter_alt_charset_mode
# > stuff. Let me know if TERM=xterm does not work as expected in mutt et al.
# > I'll post a minor HEADS UP to current@.
#
# Doesn't work for centericq or mutt.

Are you sure? I use mutt too (in an rxvt), and TERM=xterm works wonderfully
with colors. Hang on, will test mutt in plain xterm... yes, works there too.
I do have customized my .muttrc and app-defaults/XTerm, however to use
different colors from the standard ones. Maybe you have a stale termcap.db?

 cd /usr/src/share/termcap
 touch termcap.src
 make
 make install

should run cap_mkdb termcap and install the termcap.db.

# I suspect that a lot of
# applications will do explicit testing for "[axvt]term-color".  This is
# naughty, but a fact of life.

I wonder why/how these work on systems where the termcaps are also taken
from the XFree86 xterm. Could it be something else that's different on
your system? I find it hard to believe that any app would scan /etc/termcap
and ignoring what it finds in the environment variable TERM.

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/