Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 19:12:14 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Gabriel Schillaci <gabriel@schillaci.com.ar>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: hostmaster@freebsd.org automatic response

--WYTEVAkct0FjGQmd

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 06:22:08PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> "Gabriel Schillaci" wrote:
> > I think that my problem deserves some attention.
> > For some reason I don't undestand most of links to packages are broken.
> >=20
> > i.e.: try to download any mySQL package from release/4.4 or from
> > stable/packages.
> > You will get the same error: 'not a directory'.
>=20
> Yes, that is because you do not 'cd' into a .tgz file.  You 'get'
> it instead.
>=20
> Pasted from the original mail:
> "
> CWD mysql++-1.7.9.tgz
> 550 mysql++-1.7.9.tgz: Not a directory.
> PWD
> 257 "/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.4-release/databases" is current
> directory.
> CWD mysql-server-3.23.42.tgz
> 550 mysql-server-3.23.42.tgz: Not a directory.
> PWD
> 257 "/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.4-release/databases" is current
> directory.
> "
>=20
> Try "get mysql++-1.7.9.tgz" instead.

This is actually a bug in some Windows FTP clients; I think I have seen
it in recent versions of CuteFTP, for instance.  The client seems to
think that a symlink always has a directory as a target, so it shows it
as a directory (with a folder mini-icon) and tries to CWD into it on
double-clicking...

The real workaround is to use an earlier version of CuteFTP, or another
FTP client, until the folks at GlobalSCAPE (or the authors of whatever
FTP client Gabriel is using) get this sorted out..

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
If wishes were fishes, the antecedent of this conditional would be true.

--WYTEVAkct0FjGQmd

--WYTEVAkct0FjGQmd--