Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:57:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM> writes:

> I just verified it and you're right....  I wonder how the .rhosts got
> there in the first place.

Gee, do you think maybe ... the cracker put it there?  Nah.  Too obvious.

Say, how many email messages have we seen on this thread?  The subject
line notwithstanding, this is not about a security hole in FreeBSD.
The hole is elsewhere.  In any event, I'm going to start deleting unread
all mail whose subject is "Security hole in FreeBSD"; so, if anyone
wishes to report or discuss an actual security hole in FreeBSD, I
would be most appreciative if you would use a different subject line
for that mail.  Thanks in advance.

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.