Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:29:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        skynet1@cris.com
Cc:        Questions@freebsd.org, root@beyond.sdi.agate.net
Subject:   Re: Checking mail

Help!  A long string of questions!  But help is on the way in a long
string of answers!  :-)

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Charlie Root wrote:

> Help! When I check my mail in FreeBSD as ROOT, I can't figure out how to
> read them and trash them...they keep piling up!!

Just read it the same way you do mail in your account.  Use mail or pine.
I would suggest editing the /etc/aliases file and aliasing root to your
account so you don't have to check root's mail every so often.

> Help! I don't know how to create users on my system that are aliases to
> other users, (same home directories, same mail box)

I'm not sure what you mean here.  For mail aliases, just edit
/etc/aliases.  Don't forget to run 'newaliases' afterwards.

If you want to give one person two usernames (not recommended, it causes
all sorts of messes), use vipw, copy their current entry to a new entry
(use 'yy' to copy and 'p' to paste), then change just the username.  That
way they have the same UID and won't cause permissions problems.

> Help! I can't seem to configure my PCI Ethernet card!! I know the IRQ is
> 11, I know the memory ranges, but I don't know the address so I haven't
> been able to configure it. HELP!

PCI configures automatically.  What kind of card is it?

> Help!! I downloaded, for XFree, all the binaries, and the SVGA and VGA
> servers, and the english fonts... I configured it but I doesn't wanna
> work! What do I type? Startx seems to come up with error messages and
> Initx doesn't register as a program.

Did you run 'xf86config' to configure the server?  Have you tried logging
out and back in again?  Is /usr/X11R6/bin in your PATH? (hint: check
(your home directory/.login)

> HELP!! Is it possible for me to have more than 3 TTYs on my computer
> (the default)??

I assume you mean virtual terminals (accessible with ALT-F?). Yes.

1)  su to root.
2)  cd /dev
3)  ./MAKEDEV vty8  <- or however many you want
4)  vi /etc/ttys
5)  Copy the 'ttyv?' lines to as many vty's you want (up to the number
given above)
6)  Remember to leave one free for X.

> HELP!! How do I remove users from my system!! THIS IS IMPORTANT!! <---------

To manually do it:

1)  su to root
2)  vipw
3)  arrow down to their passwd entry
4)  dd to delete the line
5)  :wq to save
6)  cd /home
7)  rm -rf their-username  to delete their home directory

There is a 'removeuser' perl script roaming about, check the questions
archive for location, or I can put the (dated) one I have up for ftp.