Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 20:08:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        seifert@sequent.com (David Seifert)
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PALcode

> > Isn't this more of a case of us running a UNIX that isn't ARC PALcode
> > friendly?
>
> No.
>
> The PALcode customises the machine for a particular OS.
> That is the whole point of the PALcode.
> There is PALcode for Unix, PALcode for VMS, and PALcode for NT.

I understand that.  I also understand that some PALcode is more equal
than others, in terms of coming for free with the hardware.

I'm not married to ARC; I'd be just as happy with any other PALcode
that spanned the entire product line and didn't cost extra to obtain.
Perhaps the VMS PAL code would be a good fit, since VMS requires 4
protection domains, and we seem to run fine on x86, which also
provides 4 protection domains.

> Similar deal with the console software.
> SRM for VMS and Unix, ARC or AlphaBIOS for NT.
>
> ARC cannot read a BSD disklabel.

I'm also not married to BSD disklabels.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org