Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:18:53 -0500
From:      Tom Grove <freebsd@voidmain.net>
To:        Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ultra 1 support

Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>I have been looking to install free-bsd on my Ultra 1 Creator, but on
>>the unsupported machines is listed the Ultra 1, however the 'Ultra 1E'
>>is listed as supported. What is the 'E' version? I have never heard of
>>such, it is the Creator?
>>

>Ultra 1E is definitely supported (to some extent also a plain Ultra1). It
>has an 100BaseTX hme(4) Ethernet interface (while the plain Ultra 1 has
>an 10BaseT interface which is not yet supported). Ultra 1E has also a
>Creator frame buffer which is supported by FreeBSD. IIRC E in 1E comes
>from Enterprise version!
>
>There is an easy way to recognize an 1E from plain Ultra 1 by looking at
>the Ultra 1 logo plate on the case. On 1E the number 1 is written in a red
>circle while on plain ultra 1 is written in some sort of teal circle.
>
>To summarize:
>
> -on 1E we support the onboard disk controller + onboard ethernet
>
> -on plain Ultra 1 we support ONLY the onboard esp(4) diskcontroller
>  and one has to use a specially build loader (without gzip
>  support -- for more on this please read this list's archives).
>  (at least this apply for 6.0-RELEASE)
>
>To make also a plane Ultra1 useful one has to give it 1E "flavors" by
>installing an SBUS hme interface (this is what I have done to mine) and
>eventually an SBUS Creator Card.
>
>Regards,
>
>Johny.

<random thoughts>Being that the Ultra 1 is supported by OpenBSD I'm
wondering how hard it would be to port some things from them over.
</random thoughts>

I don't have any working FreeBSD sparc machines so how, exactly, would I
go about creating a sparc loader without gzip?  I'm thinking that if I
can at least get a running system of some sort I could work on porting
some OpenBSD code.

-Tom