Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 21:24:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Schmidt <james@JamesSchmidt.Com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.6 SMP won't boot correctly on Dual Xeon/Intel SE7500CW system board

Hello,

I am upgrading a FreeBSD 4.6 server from a dual-Pentium-II system to a
dual 2.0GHz XEON system, running on an Intel SE7500CW2 motherboard.

When I attempt to boot the system, the boot process halts at the following
point:

Programming 24 pins in IOAPIC #0
IOAPIC #0 intpin 2 -> irq #0
Programming 24 pins in IOAPIC #1
Programming 24 pins in IOAPIC #2
AP #1 (PHY# 6) failed!
panic y/n? [y]

If I hit N, the system continues to boot normally, but without SMP
support.  I've read just about every SMP FAQ I can find concerning
FreeBSD, and I have tried recompiling the kernel with different
configuration values, but I get the same result.

Just to eliminate the possibility of faulty hardware, I've also installed
Windows XP Pro and RedHat 7.3; both installations went fine and the system
runs great.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
James Schmidt