Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:17:53 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@remarq.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppc and ppbus break ctrl-alt-del and reboot?

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 11:44:49AM +0100, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:

> Do you have the same problem when doing a "shutdown -h" (or halt)
> instead of a reboot? A colleague of mine has an IBM Thinkpad which
> locks when halting/rebooting. However, I think that this also happened
> when he was running 2.2.8 on his laptop.

I have a similar problem with a Gateway Solo9100, running 3.1-stable.

Soft rebooting the machine results in a hang after the BIOS has
done its thing, but before the system even tries to access the
disk to find the bootblocks.  The workaround for me is to enable
apm support, shutdown -p, and then hit the power button to bring
things back to life.

I've seen a somewhat similar problem with the machine when it was
running NT, but that's gone away now - it's running FreeBSD
exclusively.

My (somewhat less than educated) guess points the finger to a
broken BIOS, but I'll have to do some more investigation first
(I think a 4 hour plane trip on Friday will be an ideal time to
look at this :)

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, RemarQ Communities, Inc., San Jose, CA.
mailto:ade@remarq.com   http://www.remarq.com