Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:40:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: Mass SMS]

On Thu, June 1, 2006 8:24 am, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> I have a few hundred VIP clients (yes, some are more VIP than others)
>  who I'd like to notify, via SMS, whenever we have any network
> problem and also immediately such a problem is resolved.

> What I'm looking for is some software that I can use to do this,
> within FreeBSD. I hope one of the experts in this area has done one so
> I don't have to wait for the invention.
> `make search key=sms` from within the ports did give some apps,
> but I did not see one that is capable of looking at a database of
> contact numbers and sending that one sms to all of them. Of course I
> do expect a reply/delivery report after sending the sms.

> Any good pointers will be appreciated.

I'm assuming the SMS messages are going to cell phones.  Do the cell
providers include an e-mail to SMS gateway?  ie, can you send an
e-mail to phonenumber@provider.com and have it appear on their cell as
a text message?

I don't know how things work where you are, but all the cell providers
in Canada have this server.  Makes things so much simpler.  :)  All
our servers have either Webmin installed locally with the Status
module configured to send e-mail to our cell numbers, or are monitored
via Nagios with status messages send to our cell numbers.  Works so
nicely.  No special SMS software needed, just an SMTP server.  :)

----
Freddie Cash
fcash@ocis.net