Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 13:17:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Joel Maslak <j@pobox.com>
To:        security@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   BLISS Virus

I just completed some tests on the Bliss virus (available first for
Linux).

I tested it on FreeBSD, with Linux emulation.  With emulation, the binary
can infect EVEN FREEBSD FILES.  Apparently we got something right with our
emulation.  (Note that the infected files will, from that point onward,
need Linux emulation to run)

If you try this, and manage to infect yourself (tisk, tisk), then the
following bliss command will remove infection:

bliss --bliss-disinfect-files-please

I will not mention where to get bliss, nor will I respond to mail asking.
Currently, it is relatively safe, as it displays hundreds of messages on
your screen when you get it, but I would hate to see that modified.

Joel Maslak

Caution: When copying and pasting text, work with only a few lines
at a time.  If you copy too many lines, you may trigger a bug in the
system, and your window will become unstable.
	Pg. 129, "A Practical Guide to the Unix System"