Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 18:19:11 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        alex@big.endian.de
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: staroffice install

Thanks for your help.

I did a make clean then make install and it worked.  I now see at least one
reason why StarOffice ("SO") needs to be installed in a terminal -- the SO
install is apparantly a graphical, X-based, Windowed, user-friendly process.

There should be a note of this in a convenient place like the README file
for the package.  Alternatively, perhaps the make file should check that it
is running in an Xterminal?  I will send an email or PR to the appropriate
person/list.

I had 2 minor problems:  1) When the graphical screen first came up (while I
was still in root -- I had no idea that this was to install SO for the
system as a whole) I thought that it was a mistake.  I figured that the
install was done and it had now proceeded to the user-install part so I
exited and logged in as a user and tried to run make install-user.  After
some thought on why this was not working, I started fresh (root: make clean,
make install).  2) SO told me that icons would be added within KDE.  They
were not.  Could this be because KDE is running natively and SO is running
under linux emulation?

John