Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 01:49:44 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Sm rgrav)
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl5 as default for current

> This has been discussed before, and as I recall, it was agreed that it
> would not happen until someone volunteered to go through every single
> Perl script in FreeBSD to make sure it will work with Perl 5. Perl
> syntax and semantics have been known to change somewhat gratuitously
> from one release to the next.

That's already been done and is not the problem.

The problem now is getting the bmake'd perl5 working.  Someone
submitted something for this and it was found to have a number of
problems in how it was generated - the original, pristine sources
weren't checked into /usr/src/contrib and modifications made via the
framework, nor did all the man pages install correctly.

Mark Murray is currently out travelling the world, but when he arrives
back at home he's supposed to start working on cleaning up the
submitted bmake job or doing it from scratch.  Either way, a migration
to perl5 in -current IS planned, it's just held up for lack of time
and attention.

- Jordan