Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 20:55:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        andrew@pubnix.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uptime report

> : Solution, quit X every so often, all your memory comes back.
>
> *NO*  the memory didn't come back when I did this.  The X server was
> only about 8M when I exited it.  X is not running and I still have 33M
> of swap in use on my machine, just like before I exited X.

	How long has your X server been running?  That's the real key, I
think.  When you run xdm, and log in and out, I don't think the X server
process is ever actually killed.  It just kinda restarts.  I have seen
similar symptoms running xdm with AcceleratedX 1.2.  The 'fix' is to kill
the X server every once in a while, when swap usage gets up there, and the
swap space will be returned.  (to kill the server, control-alt-bs)  xdm
will just crank the server right back up.
	This could be a vm-type problem/feature, in that the memory used by
the process is left allocated by the vm system in case it is needed again
by the same process.  Who knows.

> : One could then deduce that the leak is somewhere in X11R6.
>
> I don't think there is a leak in the X server.  However, there may be
> sub-optimal memory usage in the X server that causes it to keep
> growning and growing due to increaing memory fragmentation.  I know a
> few people that have purified the X server and found only marginal
> leaks (like on the order of 20k over several hours of running
> netscape-like programs).

	Yeah, that kinda seems to point to it being something other than
the X server at work.  Not sure what that something might be, though.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu