Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 23:10:44 -0500
From:      x <y>
To:        Chase Paglee <chinalaw@qis.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Free BSD Questions

----------
From: 	Jason C. Wells
Sent: 	Friday, May 08, 1998 2:03 PM
To: 	Chase Paglee
Cc: 	freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: 	Re: Free BSD Questions

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Chase Paglee wrote:

>1.    Why do you recommend not using 386sx.  Is this just speed problem,
>or is it stability problem?

We use 386SX-16's here with NO problems.

>2.    Does FreeBSD support Immation 120MB floppy drive?

Floppy drives are not [no longer actually] officially supported,
as I recently found out, HOWEVER, there ARE hooks in there if
you are willing to play.  Be aware however that floppy tapes
really  suck for reliability (on ANY platform).  We are using
QIC02 (Wangtek) with good results, and you can get these old
puppies for like $10.00 apiece!

>3.    Is there any way to run FreeBSD from floppy?

Yes, but dont bother, it's just not worth the effort...  You
can (technically) boot NT from a floppy too, but *would* you???

>4.    Can I load FreeBSD from memory, and then take out the FreeBSD
>floppy and use other floppies?

No.

>5.    Do I have to have XWindows to run Netscape on FreeBSD?

Dunno.  Dont use browsers on *nix platforms.

>6.    Which version of Netscape should I run on FreeBSD?

Dunno. See above.

>7.    Do I have to have XWindows to run WordPerfect on FreeBSD?

No, and Yes.  Depends on which version of WP.  We use
WP 4.2 for UNIX here with EXCELLENT results!  However,
it is NOT a WYSIWYG editor, so YMMV.

>8, 9, 10... Dunno...

Hope it helps, and Jason now has some *new* info!

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org