Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:29:06 -0500
From:      "Sagara Wijetunga" <sagara@tomahawk.com.sg>
To:        Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
Cc:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why this flash drive not detected in devd?

Mel Flynn writes:=20

> On Saturday 11 July 2009 00:36:09 Sagara Wijetunga wrote:=20
>=20
>> I prefer to handle mounting through an automounter even without KDE
>> running.
>=20
> I think most users want to handle the disk based on the content not on =
the=20
> device that has the disk. Ideally I would want my desktop to:
> 1) automount below a root that I can configure
> 2) when a disk is labeled, use the lowercase version of the label as=20
> mountpoint, resolving conflicts using 2-digit serial suffixes.
> 3) when a disk is not labeled, mount it temporarily using a unique name =
(f.e.=20
> using uuid(3)), provide me with an option to label it
>    a) if yes, label and remount, asking me to abort if this means disk =
content=20
> gets lost
>    b) if no, show me where it's mounted.=20
>=20
> Of course, YMMV, but I really don't care if my SD card with my photos i=
s in=20
> the built-in SD card holder, in the camera itself or on an USB SD card =
reader=20
> I plugged in. I want my photos to be under ~/photos each time.
> --=20
> Mel

Hi Mel=20

Thanks for your feedback.=20

Our Tomahawk Desktop (http://www.tomahawkcomputers.com/) is targeted for =
end=20
users, from years two (2) onwards :) My son is now two and quarter. He pl=
ays=20
music, just drag and drop music files (flac) to Xine, play videos, draw=20
stars, circles, cars, parrots, etc. on Inkscape, see his photos, etc. on=20
Tomahawk Desktop.=20

Here is what we have done five years ago based on Linux and how people us=
ed=20
Tomahawk Desktop 1.x series.=20

You plug in your Thumb drive and go to /media/thumdrive and access your=20
thumb drive. Close your app (eg. Konqueror), system automatically unmount=20
the thumb drive for you. An average Tomahawk Desktop 1.x user is not even=20
aware that there is such thing as mount and unmount of devices. Its just=20
plug and play for them.=20

You plug in your camera and go to /media/camera and access your camera. J=
ust=20
drag and drop your photos or videos to your computer or transfer to anoth=
er=20
thumb drive.=20

Now we have switched to FreeBSD from Linux. We would still like to offer=20
this feature as a minimum for Tomahawk Desktop users. We do not want to t=
ell=20
our users it is not supported on FreeBSD, therefore, you are crippled now=
.=20

Knowing that a device has been created with the device name da0 or da0s1 =
is=20
insufficient for us to determine whether that device is a thumb drive,=20
camera, audio player, etc.=20

We need another event to devd once the device (eg. da0, da1, etc) is know=
n=20
with minimum vendor and product ids. For this purpose, we would like to=20
modify the USB sub system. We need help in this regard.=20

I have posted another post to freebsd-stable list titled =E2=80=9CFreeBSD =
7.2 USB=20
stack info needed=E2=80=9D. Please reply if you do have time.=20

Best regards
Sagara