Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 21:32:47 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@lmf.ericsson.se>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pseudo-device as a LKM

Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> I want to implement a pseudo-device as LKM. But the question is where
> to find a working example? I've looked at e.g. the if_tun device,
> but the unload is not successful:
>
> 	# modload /lkm/if_tun_mod.o
> 	# modunload -n if_tun_mod
> 	modunload: LMUNLOAD: Device busy
>
> So please give any pointers. I'm using 2.2.7-R but I could jump into 3.0
> if that's what needed.

A couple of things..

There are several classes of LKMs..  With some, the glue is in macros,
with others it is generated.  The if_tun example you mention is a case of
a 'PSEUDO_SET()' module.  These do not allow unloading..  Not necessarily
because it cannot be done, just because nobody has bothered.

A more complete example would be to look at one that has got explicit LKM
interface code, and compare that to what is in /usr/include/sys/*.

However, if you are thinking longer term, look at 3.0's modules instead.
The days of LKM's are numbered in 3.x  (for many reasons, which I won't go
into here).

> Martti

Cheers,
-Peter