Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 21:38:53 -0400
From:      "Tcowen" <freebsd@tcowen.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   updating

I have 4.1-release on a computer connected to the internet, I'd like to
update it to the latest stable. I'm not having an easy time with cvs.
The first step when updating is replacing everything in /usr/src/,
correct? I can log in with cvs, but then (with working directory
/usr/src/) do I use "cvs update -rRELENG_4" or the checkout command or
what? and with whatever command(s) I'm supposed to use, does it replace
the files in /usr/src/ or does it put things somewhere else by default?
Also, if I wanted to just download everything using the ftp would I
replace my /usr/src/ directory with everything in
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/src/? thanks