Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 03:27:17 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Ruben van Staveren <ruben@verweg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SOLVED] Broken sound with 4.4-RC

Ruben van Staveren <ruben@verweg.com> types:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 09:24:46PM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > I found the source of this jar.
> > > I'he installed 'gkrellm' from ports.
> > > It's installed as root:kmem with SUID bit (no SGID, however).
> > > Running gkrellm while audio playback produces sound breakage.
> > > The solution is removing SUID bit from gkrellm binary.
> > > All metallic effects have disappeared now.
> >
> > There have been multiple reports of gkrellm causing SMP systems to
> > freeze - more accurately, gkrellm plugins cause this to
> > happen. Which prompts me to ask if you are running SMP, and if you
> > have any gkrellm plugins running.
> >
> > FWIW, if you define WITHOUT_SENSOR when you install gkrellm, it will
> > not turn on the SUID bit on the binary.

As an aside, this has been changed: it now installs without the sensor
capabilites unless you ask for them.

> Shouldn't gkrellm be forbidden in the ports collection until it is really
> reliable again ?
> It will save some spurious SMP/sound/whatever lockup reports in -stable for
> sure.

As far as I can tell, what should be forbidden should be the
plugins. The default install seems to fix the sound problem. Since
there are no reports of lockups with the plugins except on SMP boxes,
I don't think it's worth fooling with. If someone wants to file a PR
on them, that's up to them.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.