Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 1995 16:07:48 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: sup:  Ok, I'm gonna do it.

<<On Wed, 1 Feb 1995 06:56:24 -0600, rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth) said:

> Perhaps we need a two step commit process. Basically, developers commit to
> "wanna-be-current". Periodically take a snapshot of this and test to see if
> everything compiles. If not, it gets bounced! Things that pass the sieve go
> into "current".

I think people are missing the point of what ``current'' is (or at
least, was supposed to be when we set this all up)!

I am not willing to waste too much effort on making sure that the
world always compiles; there's no benefit.  I am much more concerned
about whether things compile at release time, and especially whether a
source-only upgrade is possible.  I think worrying about it at any other
time is counterproductive.  (The fact that this is even an issue
indicates to me that there are WAY too many people supping ``current''
as it is.)

While I'm at it, I should speak up on behalf of keeping sup access to
the source tree as is.  None of my machines have enough disk space to
keep two complete copies of the sources to everything...

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.