Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:44:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, green@unixhelp.org, mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel malloc and M_CANWAIT

> > why not just put it in a loop and block on lbolt?
> > (or call panic)
>
> Because you shouldn't panic unless there's no alternative.  Panicking
> on resource starvation is just totally lame.

We haven't used up the kernel name space yet.  This sort of
fundamental change should be enabled by a new flag and then added
when handled.

Changing things to return NULL pointers in the kernel where they
never were before is equally lame.  Without the appropriate work
you're just pushing the panic off to a hard to find location.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval