Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:07:26 -0500
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        i18n@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I18N Progress, Plans, and Proposals

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 01:16:12PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard scribbled:
| >   The advantages are :
| >     A. Easy bug reporting by users. (e.g. "I have error 2398423")
| >     B. I18N error messages
|
| Let me just say, as someone who's done "escalation tech support" for
| major ISVs (the people who get called whenever front-line tech support
| is confronted with a "I have error 2398423" question), that this can
| also be a tremendous pain in the butt when done wrong.

The format I have in mind is more like:

kern.pci.cardbus.insert.ed0

kern.net.tcpip.route.not-responding.gateway.123.233.233.100

kern.pci.pcm.yamaha.ptr.mem.0xfedf8000.irq9.device.9.on-pci0

| Done wrong, a message catalog-using program will emit cryptic numeric
| errors whenever a message catalog file cannot be found or is
| corrupted.  Done right, the program is written in such a way as to
| contain a default message which can also be overridden from the
| message catalog file if some different text is found in the
| appropriate language.  I believe this is the way that catgets(3)
| currently works, but you'd be amazed how many programmers just skip
| providing a default message since the appropriate message catalog is
| always found on *their* system.
|
| There's also nothing more unreadable than code which tests a failure
| condition and then calls a message catalog routine with some numeric
| constant, the actual text of the error message being an aid to the
| programmer as well as the user when reading someone else's code and
| trying to figure out what varioups parts of it are trying to do.

So can we output the message catalogue name along with the plaintext
message?