Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 23:25:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.network and natd_enable

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 05:17:17PM -0500, Nick Rogness wrote: > > In

> 4.2-STABLE, /etc/rc.network has entries to turn on natd.  However,
> natd > does not get enabled if you don't specify natd_interface.
> WHat if you you > have setup stored in a configuration file and do not
> wish to supply an

> > interface flag in /etc/rc.conf?  Well, natd does not turn on!
> >
> > Would it make more sense to do something like (psuedo-ish code):
> >
> > 	if (natd_enable = YES)
> >
> > 		if (natd_interface defined)
> > 			natd -n $natd_interface $natd_flags
> > 		elif (natd_flags defined)
> > 			natd $natd_flags
> > 		fi
> > 	fi
> >

> > It would allow for people to not specify a natd_interface but still
> be > able to run natd out of rc.conf.  What does everyone think of
> this?

> > > I guess you pay the penalty if someone doesn't setup the flags
> properly > but I guess you could write that off as a config error
> anyways.

> ${natd_interface} is required to set up the ``divert natd'' rule
> from /etc/rc.firewall.

	Damn!  And if someone enters an IP as natd_interface...does the
	firewall rules error out?  (haven't tried it but looks as if it
	would)

	I would suspect that if the user doesn't specify natd_interface in
	rc.conf that he would have to be aware that the firewall rule for
	nat did not get added.  I don't necessarily think that's a bad
	thing...but maybe it is.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"