Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 95 20:08:31 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, ache@astral.msk.su, hackers@freebsd.org, harry@hgac.com, jkh@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: dial up at > 9600 baud

> >The one remaining issue is that the partial open unsetting of NDELAY
> >needs to still work for device binary compatability for things like IBCS2.
>
> This should be handled in the ibcs2 emulator :-).  I don't think the
> version that you want is implemented.  If O_NONBLOCK is turned off, then
> I/O blocks if there is no carrier and no CLOCAL.

Devices are event sources and sinks.

You have to generate the necessary events to support the BSD behaviour
and the emulated behaviour.  There are some things you just can't do
otherwise.

The event handling code that causes the device to behave as if it were
coded one way or another, that's what goes into the emulation code.

For instance, going back to open completing on RI instead of DCD: all
it is is an event handler substitution.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---