Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:06:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)

>     We could have the ability to mark processes as being more or less
>     preferable as kill candidates.  I'm not sure I really care anymore,
>     though... there is so much disk space available now that it is fairly
>     difficult to run the system out of swap space.  I don't think I've
>     run any of my personal systems out of swap space for at least a year

I do this regularly and swap areas are difficult to configure sometimes.
It would be desirable to have a growable swap vnode in ffs that you can
set up in advance, or have a network nfs swap server for use in
emergencies. This is a much better policy than killing processes, which is
really microsoft style solution.