Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:16:41 -0600
From:      Gerard Giamberdine <gerard@dimensional.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lost+found (+hope?)

Hello,

I'm not quite sure what led to this, but I had a bunch of files (mainly
DOS) zipped up and sitting in a directory on my FreeBSD drive - then one
day I noticed a '/usr/local/lost+found' with a bunch of files in it with
numbers for names. Eventually I figured out that these were the files I
had in the archive directory, only now many were about 25% or so smaller
in size. Under DOS, pkunzip is unable to extract these files saying
they're corrupted. Is there any hope of repairing these files? Also, I'm
curious how this lost+found directory works and what condition(s) might
have caused (just) these files to be placed there. Thanks for your help!

Gerard