Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:24:24 +0000
From:      Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL>
Cc:        matysiak@excite.com, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, Alexandr Gribenko <aeg@iname.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD presence in Israel?

Nadav Eiron wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 matysiak@excite.com wrote:
>
> > Are there any (Free)BSD-related groups in Israel?   The mailing list
> > mentioned on the Web site is no longer valid (or at least rejects
> > subscription messages).
> >
> > If there is anyone from Israel on this mailing list, please give us a sign.
> >
> > Dariusz
>
> Well, I can only speak for myself, but FreeBSD here is not is too good a
> shape. The mailing list was practicaly silent, except for spam, for a
> pretty long time, so I guess whoever was responsible for it had shut it
> down. I myself am happy with FreeBSD, and also use it for a public service
> that's not unknown in the right circles
> (http://libagent.cs.technion.ac.il.), but Linux rules high here at the
> Technion, at least among the students. As for the department's official
> policies, I tried to introduce FreeBSD formally here, but didn't have much
> luck. They're pretty much stuck with what they have, and the only new
> thing they're ready to hear about is Linux or NT.

Well if people use Linux, it's probably not as bad as it sounds.   Does
it have anything to do with the lack of support for Hebrew characters in
FreeBSD?   Last time I looked, Linux had some sort of a Hebrew-HOWTO.

A bit of press coverage wouldn't hurt either - a lot of people use Linux
because they know very little about the alternatives.   Can you think of
any web sites in Israel that might be willing to publish an article on
FreeBSD?   If not, the Universities would be a good place to start.
You're at the Technion, but what is the situation like at BGU, the
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Bar-Ilan, the Weizmann Institute?

Israel has an ample pool of technical talent, and it would be a shame to
see them yield to Microsoft.

Alex

P.S. I'm in the UK right now but will be in Tel-Aviv next month.
Perhaps we could get together and think of something?