Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 2004 14:29:37 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI-Express support

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <410D2FEA.5050504@samsco.org>, Scott Long writes:
>
>>All,
>>
>>I've emailed before about supporting various aspects of PCI-Express and
>>especially MSI, but haven't really gotten too far with it due to lack of
>>resources.  I now how access to a system that can do PCI-Express (PCI-E)
>>so I'd like to revisit it and see what can be added for 5-STABLE.  There
>>are three general areas that need to be addressed in some form or another:
>>

> [...]
>
>>Adding this for 5.3 is feasible, I think, and doesn't add a whole lot
>>of risk.
>

> OK, who are you and what have you done to Scott Long ?
>
> Scott would never even think about suggesting something like this two
> weeks before we lock down the tree for a -stable branching.

To answer you and Warner, this is functionality that is optional and has
little risk to the existing infrastructure.  John has done a great job
with abstracting the low-level interrupt drivers, and this would just be
another one of those.  The support would be marked as *experimental*,
but with the API in place it would give us more freedom to make it
happen.  Intel is pushing really hard to get adoption of this stuff in
the small/medium size server area, and 5.x is going to suffer if it's
not there.

Scott