Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 2009 22:30:16 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <mlobo@digiart.art.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.d/named dilemma

On Saturday 22 August 2009 21:11:01 Nerius Landys wrote:
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0I don't remember the original description, but any time =
I hear
> > about a 30 second "gap" during startup, I think of the well-known DNS
> > reverse look-up issue. =A0Are you sure this is not the case here?
>
> Indeed, I have forgotten to have the PTR record set up for my new IP
> address.
>
> However the original description is that when I issue a "ping -c 100
> x.y.z.w" to a well-known IP address, only the last 70 packets get
> returned, not the first 30 (hence 30 seconds).  This ping command is
> issued very early in the rc.d scripts, after NETWORK and before named,
> and the script does not exit until a ping request is successful.

Nerius;

I had the same problem until I put:=20

# REQUIRE: SERVERS cleanvar ppp-user

in /etc/rc.d/named script, which means that named won't start until the
ppp -ddial adsl command, which is called by in /etc/rc.d/ppp-user, is=20
finished. By then, DNS and default route will be established.=20

I also put:
# PROVIDE: ppp-user
in /etc/rc.d/ppp-user.

Sorry for writing you directly but I don't know why, the freebsd-questions=
=20
list (in fact, all freebsd lists i'm subscribed to) is refusing my posts. N=
ot=20
even the list manager/owner gets them. If you would be so kind to forward=20
this to them, I'd be very greatful. Maybe they could find out why so I coul=
d=20
take action to try remedy what is causing the refusals of my e-mail.

Thanks and Best wishes,
=2D-=20
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br
=46reeBSD since version 2.2.8 [not Pro-Audio.... YET!!] (99,7% winedows FRE=
E)