Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:05:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: List of things to move from main tree to ports (was Re:  Wish List (was: Re: The /usr/bin/games bikeshed again))

:>     I'll collect all the responses from the list together and put together
:>     a comprehensive list, then post it tonight.
:
:Please move Sendmail to ports.  People should have a choice of which
:MTA they want to use.  Sendmail should not have any special status when
:compared to other MTA's in ports.  Qmail and postfix are quite popular
:too and they are in ports.
:
:BIND:  There is a growing groundswell in favour of djbdns.  People
:should have a choice.  Once again if they choose djbdns, BIND takes up
:space that could be used by other software on the disk.  Economy.

   I have to disagree.  Our base system must be operational without forcing
   people to install certain ports.  We need a working bind and a working
   mail subsystem in the base system.  We can let people turn it off, but we
   can't shift these to ports.

   In regards to djbdns... as much as I aplaud security-centric designs,
   the djbdns code is virtually unmaintainable -- unformatted, uncommented,
   and a mess.  Despite his essentricities Paul Vixie and the code he produces
   is a whole lot easier to work with.  I'd rather wait for Bind-9 to
   stabilize and then move the base system to that then to shift to djbdns.

   (I'll add these to the list under 'extremely controversial', which they
   are).

						-Matt