Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:27:36 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, dougb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named/bind98... rather ports usage and base interaction.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 04:52:48PM +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 23 Mar 2012 15:41, "Jason Hellenthal" <jhellenthal@dataix.net> wrote:
> >

> > Hey Doug,
> >
> > Do you know of anything we could do to stop the following from happening
> > ?
> >
> > If you set world to build without BIND and it is your intention to use
> > bind from ports... upon running (make delete-old) from source it
> > attempts to remove empty directories from /etc/named/*. When doing this
> > it can only remove empty directories and since master & slave usually
> > will have something in it on most systems dynamic gets removed but left
> > to be re-created from /etc/rc.d/named on the next boot.
> >
> > Do you think it would be possible to "for say" create a
> > USING_BIND_FROM_PORTS make.conf var that could be compared during the
> > (make delete-old) stage so it does not attempt to do anything with
> > /etc/named/* ? but yet still allow it to operate on the rest of the
> > stale files.
> >

> Would it be too hackish to have a file .keepme in the dynamic directory?

I think that would be fine. But there are other cases too like if
named.conf is still in its generic form then it would be removed as well
as some other files that still may be of use for bind from ports. I
think a more proper way would be to ignore neccesary base system files
like /etc/named /var/named. This would make it easier for someone that
was using base bind for a while to make an easy transition over ports
bind without having to worry about the effects of delete-old.

--
;s =;