Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 22:49:00 -0700
From:      "Tabor Kelly" <tkelly@pdxmax.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Athalon XP + Asus A7V333 + NVidia TNT2 + XFree86 problem

Hi,

    I just installed FreeBSD RELEASE 4.5 on my new Athalon. It is an XP 1700
on an Asus A7V333 motherboard. It has 512MB of ram and a ~40gb partition on
a ~80gb drive. It has a Riva TNT2 32MB AGP video card. FreeBSD appears to
work fine, but I can't get XFree86 to work. Whenever I run
'XFree86 -configure' my system reboots. Also, if I configure XFree86 with
xf86config and the run XWrapper-4, my system does the
same thing (reboots). When I run xf86config I select the Riva TNT2 video
card and verified that it was using the 'nv' server.

I have tried the binary distribution of XFree86 4.2.0 on xfree86.org aswell
as the x11/XFree86-4 port. They both cause the same behavior. When the
system gets done rebooting I do not have an XFree86 log file in /var/log.

I understand that   disabling MTRRs can help, and that it can be done with
this patch: (http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/mtrr.patch) compliments
of John Baldwin's.

However, I have no idea where the patch goes. Does the patch go in the
XFree86 code, or the FreeBSD kernel code? Is this patch going to be included
in future releases of FreeBSD?

Thank You for any assistance that you can provide.

-Tabor Kelly