Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:37:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Espen Skoglund <esk@ira.uka.de>
To:        "Passki, Jonathan P" <jpasski@kpmg.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-ports@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: pkg_version

[Passki, Jonathan P]

  [...]

> Feel free to flame, I put on the fire retardant suit when I wrote
> this :) I'm blaming most of this on myself for perhaps a lack of
> understanding, but there have been many before with the same
> question.  Also, wouldn't this be good advocacy to house a more
> robust port system?

Yes.  Package upgrading should really be a bit cleaner.  What I
usually end up doing is to move the +REQUIRED_BY file away from the
/var/db/pkg directory, delete the port, reinstall it, and move the
+REQUIRED_BY file into /var/db/pkg directory again.

Also, for deinstalling all packages that depends on one particular
package, one might do something like:

   pkg_info -qR <package name> | xargs pkg_delete -f

What I really miss though, is for the pkg_ utilities to be able to
recognize bare package names (i.e., without the version suffix).  Is
there any reason for not having this feature?

	eSk