Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 15:31:17 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/run/natd.pid request

> I finally figured out how to get natd working, and I have a little
> suggestion: stuff the natd PID in /var/run/natd.pid. from my experiments
> when the translating interface's address is dynamic (and using -dynamic
> option), the natd process requires a SIGHUP to make the change to the
> new address. If the natd PID is available, then it will simply the process.
>
> --mark.
How did you get it working?  I have been playing with natd for a couple of
days now, and am having some problems.  I do the following:

	ipfw flush
	ipfw add divert 32000 ip from any to any via ppp0
	ipfw add pass ip from any to any

	natd -n ppp0 -verbose -dynamic -port 32000

Everything then talks fine both on the firewall machine, and from my work
machine across the room, for 0-3 minutes.  After that, the logging on the
console slows to a halt, and if I try to:

	ping prep.ai.mit.edu  (arbitrary choice 8)

I get:
	ping: sendto: No buffer space available

A little later the connection drops carrier, and then has to redial my ISP.
The interesting part is the same thing seems to occur when my network is
completely idle.  Every 2-3 minutes carrier drops and it redials.

	TIA,
	brian