Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2012 01:51:39 +0100
From:      "tom@diogunix.com" <tom@diogunix.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ricoh SD card reader issue

Hi @all,

I recently got me a Thinkpad T510i with an internal Ricoh Card Reader and
put FreeBSD 9 RELEASE on the new machine.

Unfortunately it seems one cannot get a new device in /dev though loading
sdhci / mmc / mmcsd modules

I get messages via dmesg and /var/log/messages but no new device pops up
(what device name is usually used ?)

Searching the web, I found that (at least in 2009) TI obviously refused to
reveal information to mav@freebsd.org who wanted to work on a workaround.

Just now asking whether this state still is valid today.

Any news on this ?

kind regards
Tom

PS: Sometimes I believe the BSD community (and maybe Linux community) should
try to establish sort of a "Unix-Ready" Certificate to force hardware
sellers to make better products.

This at least would help us to make better decisions when buying hardware.

Regarding the increasing market share of Ubuntu, there might be some
relevance for this for hardware manufacturers ;-)