Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:11:24 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org> writes:
> It is more modular and easy to expand after the boot.  How do
> I start nfs on FreeBSD after it boots?  Well, you grep it out of
> /etc/rc*.

Actually, er, I know to start portmapper, mountd, nfsd, etc.

This is probably a clue as to why I don't need:

  /etc/rc.d/<daemon>d start

;)

> It isn't SysV RC style.  It is BSD style taken to its logical next
> step.  All the knobs for this are still in a central location, so you
> don't have to make sure you get the hardlinks right.

Correct me if I am wrong (as I am quite sure you will). The NetBSD
style is shell code to start or stop daemons, sprinkled in lots of
little files, which have to exist in at least one (if not several)
directories.

How is this all in a central location?

You'll have to excuse my kneejerk here if I am clueless, more than a
hundred times have I seen someone wondering why a service didn't start
on linux/solaris/hpux and it turned out that someone put a regular
file in a directory that was supposed to have links in it. Being
burned by this repeatedly (especially when it's not my originating
mistake) is not something I am wanting to see happen with FreeBSD.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and
that's your own self.