Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2012 09:43:01 -0500
From:      Lee Dilkie <lee@dilkie.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -> portmaster after freebsd-update

On 3/6/2012 1:51 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 3/5/2012 6:13 AM, Lee Dilkie wrote:
>> Is the handbook going to be updated with a confirmed procedure?
> The preferred procedure has always been to delete everything and
> reinstall. Do you see anywhere in the handbook where it says anything
> different?

I don't see anything int he handbook referencing portmaster, only
references to portupgrade. That was my point.

for example....

All third party software will now need to be rebuilt and re-installed.
This is required as installed software may depend on libraries which
have been removed during the upgrade process. The ports-mgmt/portupgrade
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade/pkg-descr>;
command may be used to automate this process. The following commands may
be used to begin this process:

# portupgrade -f ruby
# rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db
# portupgrade -f ruby18-bdb
# rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db /usr/ports/INDEX-*.db
# portupgrade -af

Once this has completed, finish the upgrade process with a final call to
freebsd-update. Issue the following command to tie up all loose ends in
the upgrade process:

# freebsd-update install

It would be nice, since portupgrade is now deprecated, to replace this section
(and others), with the portmaster procedure.

-lee