Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 2004 01:01:44 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   ofw console change breaks powerpc

Hi,

  I've just tried the OpenFirmware console on FreeBSD/PPC after
a long stint of using syscons.

  The recent change seemed to break things, specifically the line:

  		ttychars(tp);
  		tp->t_iflag = TTYDEF_IFLAG;
  		tp->t_oflag = TTYDEF_OFLAG;
-		tp->t_cflag = TTYDEF_CFLAG|CLOCAL;
+		tp->t_cflag = TTYDEF_CFLAG;
  		tp->t_lflag = TTYDEF_LFLAG;
  		tp->t_ispeed = tp->t_ospeed = TTYDEF_SPEED;
  		ttsetwater(tp);

  By not having CLOCAL set, TS_CONNECTED doesn't get set on open,
and the first write() syscall by sh blocks because the tty subsystem
wants to wait for modem signals to bring the line up.

  Now, I have no idea why this works on sparc64, but I don't think
it would be an issue if it were re-introduced. Anyone want to try
it out ? I don't have any sparc h/w to test it on.

later,

Peter.