Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:46:36 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVDs [and MPEG decoder hardware]

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 05:56:24PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I'm looking at the same card.  We're supposed to have one in this
> > week.  I've started a dialog with Sigma Designs to see if we can
> > get the programming infos.
>
> Well, that's more promising news on the DVD front than I've seen for
> awhile, great stuff!
>
> I hope something comes of this, and my letter to Brian concerning
> creative labs should not be considered to be directed at Brian alone
> if anyone else has interest in the CL product. :) They're cheap enough
> and important enough to FreeBSD's multimedia picture that I'd be just
> happy to buy a couple of them as one.

before i drive yet another nail into my own coffin ..

on second thoughs i;ve removed the people from teh cc: line, i have enough
enemies after my head, i dont need more nemies.

this is good news on the hardware compaitabity front, if i ever get a dvd kit
i will thank you all for your persaverance.

now, on to my rant ....

you guys (freebsd users, not yiu guys in particular) are all so heated up
about getting another stinking dvd, super expensive bit of new tommorrow
hardware .. all teh pretty bits that bloody minded equipemt makers cannot get
out of teh way of thier feet fast enough to get into your greedy hands all for
waht .. free software driver development.

i cna relate to that, i;d do the sme thing if the saps were so keen to get a
few bits of garbage hardware .. i;d go laughing all the way to the bank.

BUT .. what of teh people who have been excluded freom using freebsd by dint
of teh fact that freebsd dosent have suitable video 'driver' of teh textmode
console to provide a character set that is readble by people with diminished
visual capacity .. i'm not going to thoush the neurolological defeciets, but,
its all part of the same deal.

its not pretty to work on a bit of software that will be used by some ugly
deforemed of body or slured and drooling mouthed person whost speach is so
hard to follow most so called normal people turn away in disgust and writeoff
the stinking carcase as a 'moron' with an "iq" in the minus region. because
they cannot deal with the reality that not all people are picture perfect
america adverisement postcrd cut out people, it ain't pretty and its not
finaccilly rewarding.

i know about a dozen people who would be chuffed to bits to be able to sue a
computer to bea ble to talk to other people .. sure this group would hide
behind teh anonimity we all do in email .. the www and email is a place where
minds can meet and people can get to know people .. where the physical, teh
repulsive viseral reality can be set aside and people can, people do talk to
people on a more or less equal footing.

a dvd player kit is probely no more expensive than a 21 inch sony or hitachi,
well the sony definately .. hitachi are sill high quality enough to hold thier
price. .. yes a few hitachi 21 inch monitors and possibly matrox's or stb
velocituies  . or some other card cable of being drive to 1600x1400x256. and a
real programmer of two to help the visually imperared group to 'develop' a
text mode driver that will enable teh std console in text mode to display
characters that are about 10 times higer and some 8 times wider than currently
available . so that not just us uglies can use your sanitarily cleansed
politically corrected self defence mechanism .. older people who have retired
can beomce once more usefull contributors, young people with severly
dsyfunctionla viusl corext deveoplemnt can have an avenue to communiice,
dsylexics could have a chance to lear to read and to write.

we are sorry that all you poeple are just vultures hang around teh dvd give
outs .. wasting so much talent on worthless development when so many cry out
for just a little concideration.

i won;t appologies for the harshness of my address, i an sick and tired of
seeing souch gratious developemnt .. the hig end is so wonderfully supported,
bu tthe devil take the hindmost if you are not like the hurd .. your only
alternative is teh microsoft environment and teh vilification of the jerk
element that is making it self disgustingly self evident even here in the
sanity that once prevailed freebsd- mailinglists.

i once ask a freind of mine about support for the disabled .. her
responce sickened me .. she was so concerned abouyt the small number, the so
little return on investment the strain on teh poor volunter developers working
for so little return.

i trikes me a a triffle ludicrust .. how many people are going to embrace
dvd's. propbly far less than their are people who could use freensd if they
could read the bloody screen .. who knows what sort of taleent is beiong
driven awya by our disgusting obvious repulsion of teh real needs of real
people.

ok rant mode ended .. for this time

take care the only difference between me, the use of teh disabl;ed world is
the i got here before you did .. you will greo old, you will loose you rteeth,
you will get incontinet, you will loose your sppech and sight you will beomce
senile .. your wonderfull meidacl system cannot stop you from getting old.

normally i spen some time rewriting my posts to remove the typos caused by my
broken brian pros and the miss-seeings caused by using a 14 nch montit and
type suze a lawyer would be proud to call 'the fine print'.

regards

jonathan

for the spelling elitists .. you loose 35 percent of you brain and see how
well you spell .. if yo can still wlak and talk and yse your hands that is.