Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 04:38:29 +0000
From:      "Amarendra Godbole" <amarendra.godbole@gmail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Broken dependency on expat.

Hi,

I tried to build apache22 from the ports (/usr/ports/www/apache22/).
Now, the initial build failed, because of a broken dependency on
libexpat - as apache22 needed a newer version than the one I had
(1.95.*).

So, I forcibly deinstalled, and reinstalled expat2 from
/usr/ports/textproc/expat2/, and apache22 built and installed fine.

So far so good...

...but upgrading libexpat removed the original libexpat.so.5 link, and
put a libexpat.so.6...which caused all my X based programs, including
the window manager to break! X just refused to start, and so did many
other programs.

Now, I just put back the softlink libexpat.so.5, and poof...things
were up and running again...

So my question is: is there a better way to handle such a scenario? Or
in case of libraries, can't the original links be preserved, and new
links added (I guess this cannot be done).

Best,
Amarendra