Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:54:26 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: php4 port - undefined ref to getopt_long

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 12:41:16PM +1100, andrew clarke wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD 4.10-REL system here with a still-working ports system,
> using the latest ports tree.

Actually, you don't.  If you read UPDATING you'll find out that I removed
the remmants of the 4.X support from bsd.port.mk.  This was in accordance
with what we had been saying in email for months, and which I specifically
did a HEADSUP for, to ports@, a day earlier.  In particular, I warned
anyone still using 4.X _not_ to track the bsd.port.mk update, or any other
further infrastructure update, and that instead to stay with the
RELENG4_EOL tag.

> Should ports maintainers still be encouraged to support 4.x if it is not
> a lot of trouble?

We removed the requirement that maintainers support 4.X many months ago,
and within the past few weeks have been recommending against them spending
any further time on it because of the upcoming update.

> (I do intend to upgrade to 6.x at some stage, but not until a lot of
> ports that I use start to fail to build, and there is no sign of that
> happening yet :-)

Various maintainers have, with portmgr's permission and now encouragement,
been removing the 4.X special-case code from ports in the ports tree to
start simplifying the code.

I'm sorry, but we have been talking about doing this for over a year, on
public lists, to try to cut down the demands that we put on our committers
and maintainers: that they support _four_ branches (three major releases
plus -CURRENT).  This was simply holding us back.

I think you will find that 6.2 is far better for almost every purpose
except high performance on uniprocessor systems, and in the latest work
on -CURRENT, even that is being addressed.

mcl