Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 17:04:36 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Linus said about FreeBSD

In message <4.2.2.20000209084501.040ad6e0@localhost>, Brett Glass wrote:
} At 03:01 AM 2/9/2000 , Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
}
} >I propose we have two Bretts then.  The anti-GPL one who we can
} >flame for causing bad PR amongst the Linux (and other) people, and
} >the pro-BSD one who we can agree with, and who can provide us with
} >some good ideas and tactics to improve our PR through positive
} >means, not through negative (ie, attacking others) means.
} >
} >Chainsaw, anyone?
}
} Ouch! Suddenly, I have a splitting headache. ;-)
}
} Seriously, being pro-BSD and opposing the GPL go hand in hand. When

Only if one is pro-BSD (and anti-GPL) for exactly the same reasons you are.
For someone who complains so loudly about others not respecting his
views, you seem to have a singular ability to assume that anyone who
agrees with any particular position you advocate does so for exactly (and
only) the reasoning which led you to your position, and if they express
otherwise, they're "obviously" just misleading themselves.

} one points out the problems of the GPL, one is not "attacking
} others;" rather, one is helping others by exposing a deceitful and
} malicious agenda. That's a VERY positive thing.

Funny how your positives so often couch themselves in vehement negativity.

} Using or supporting the GPL, on the other hand, IS attacking others,
} since the GPL itself is intended to hurt people.

You've taken your conclusion as given, and are arguing back from that point.
Not everyone agrees with your conclusion, so why not stop beating them over
the head in reverse and try to convince them of your reasoning?  Hint: using
terms like "obviously", or emotionally charged phrases like "deceitful"
and "malicious" are unlikely to win you many converts, regardless of how
accurate they may be.

} One of the memetic strengths of the Linux community and its leaders
} is that they have not only things that they promote but things that
} they firmly oppose. Such causes draw people together. One thing I see
} in the BSD community which hobbles its effectiveness is that some people
} in it refuse to take a stand, even against something like the GPL which
} is clearly hurtful and malicious. Perhaps this is what Linus was really
} saying.

Because it is "clear" to you does not mean that everyone else who has
anything to do with *BSD agrees.  I wish you would get that through your
head.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com