Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 20:11:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Stefan Esser <esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        Voradesh Yenbut <yenbut@cs.washington.edu>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One cause of 2.05R instability found

On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, Stefan Esser wrote:

> Regarding problems with panics:
>
> 	Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>
> Is this a single case ?
>
> Who else (other than <yenbut@cs.washington.edu> Voradesh Yenbut)
> sees this ???

I have seen this a couple times...  it has happened when reading off my
nec-210 cd-rom drive via nfs...  the cdrom is connected to a 8bit controler based on the
ncr53c400 by nec...  I am using the nca driver...  I'm not sure if this
is related...  I didn't take the information reported down...

> The NCR code hasn't changed over many months until after
> FreeBSD-2.0.5R has been released, and I don't have any
> other report of "trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode"
> problems. So I don't suppose this to be a problem caused
> by the driver.

well... now you have another report...  just a bit about my machine...
it has 8megs ram... running a 486/33dx running at 40mhz...  the only
thing on the scsi controler is the cdrom...  hope this helps... TTYL...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)