Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:11:56 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Permission Denied on passwd

Eilko Bos writes:
>Are you very sure your password you typed is correct?

	Actually, my face is quite red at this time.
What actually happened was that I was using the wrong password
and then compounded the confusion by using the wrong password on
another new account I had set up. that is why I thought all
non-root users were having the same trouble.

	Thanks to all of you for your effort and I am sorry I
wasted your time.

	One time, I ended up with a system on which sendmail
wouldn't work for anybody but root because it complained about a
certain directory being world-writable.  That particular system
had been set up by several different people and I finally ran a
diagnostic for sendmail that produces a trace until it hits the
trouble spot.  Somebody had made /usr world-writable for some
unknown reason.  Anyway, I thought I had dome something like that
and killed passwd.

	Yes, UNIX is my day job!  Times like this are certainly humbling.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group