Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 04:23:43 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        "Sam Leffler \(FreeBSD Project\)" <sam@freebsd.org>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (forw) Re: USB4BSD - release candidate 2 - coming to FreeBSD this week.

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 09:24:11PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > 4. I'm interested to understand why these container modules exist
> > instead of individual drivers. =20
>=20
> They exist to make loading USB drivers easier. It is simpler to=20
> load "usb2_serial" than to emperically search for a specific serial port=
=20
> driver. In the future the "usb2_serial" module will load the correct driv=
er=20
> for you.

If you want a stub usb2_serial module that loads all serial drivers,
that migh be useful, but we do not have an (e.g.) if_ethernet module
for a reason.  The individual drivers MUST continue to exist and be
independently configurable so embedded systems can choose what they
need and exclude what they don't.

-- Brooks

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU--