Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 09:07:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 02:49:21PM -0400, Jason Andresen wrote:
>
> > 60000 files took ~15 minutes to create as is.  I'm going to have to wait
> > until tonight to run larger sets.  2.2.16 is what we have here.
> > I'm still waiting to see how much faster ReiserFS is.
>
> I'm willing to overnight your test if you want. Do you have it packaged
> up to send? It would be interesting just to get numbers from a Linux
> system with a modern kernel. 2.4.1 gave me enough of a speed boost to
> put off another FreeBSD install until I fix some problems there.
>
> I cannot test FreeBSD with SCSI right now so my system will be an
> inequal set of results.
>
> I would offer to test NetBSD as well, but I suppose no one would be
> interested in that.

The test is 'postmark'.  It is in /usr/ports/benchmarks, but the
distribution is a single C file.  Just compile it with:
gcc -O -o postmark postmark.c on all of the systems.  That's what the port
uses.  Your system should be unladen but running in multiuser mode and the
test directory you choose should be empty.

The options you are interested in are:
set transactions 10000 <-- What I used for all of my tests
set number <number of starting file in the directory to test>
set location /path/to/empty/local/directory
run