Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:01:37 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Melvyn Sopacua <freebsd-hardware@webteckies.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for Dual-CPU systems

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:50:22PM +0100, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> we're looking around for our next hardware generation and don't like to=
=20
> reinvent the wheel. The current generation is very stable, but the one be=
fore=20
> that had problems, prolly in the motherboard, which we never we're able t=
o=20
> solve, using various BSD flavours.
>=20
> The machines will primarily do webserving, which means php/apache with so=
me=20
> postfix mail for alerts. Most of the sites will be MySQL backed, which wi=
ll=20
> run on different servers. The busiest site handles about 6GB of traffic p=
er=20
> day (600k requests for content only - seperate grafics server), consistin=
g of=20
> primarily of news. Others vary greatly.
>=20
> The reason for the dual CPU is that we want to be able to host more per=
=20
> machine, to reduce maintenance. We have done some orientation and experie=
nce=20
> with ASUS boards, but the results are very variable.
>=20
> We're looking for systems in the Netherlands, price range 1500 - 2500 eur=
o's,=20
> 1 or 2u 19" rackmount systems.
>=20
> We've also informed with Dell, but they won't support FreeBSD, so my ques=
tion=20
> is twofold:
> 1) I still see a lot of people on the lists working with Dell machines, s=
o how=20
> do they work around the "no support" issue? Is this really an issue when =
a=20
> disk crashes or some other hardware component?
> 2) Does anybody know of a hardware supplier that DOES support FreeBSD,=20
> preferably operating in The Netherlands.
>=20
> Also - if anybody wishes to share the hardware setup that they're working=
 with=20
> for similar tasks, based upon an Intel P-IV or Xeon >=3D 2.4GHz, I'd welc=
ome=20
> that.

We're using 64 of the Intel OEM 1U systems in our computing cluster.
They are a little more expensive then some of the other options, but
they have been very reliable for us.  We had one DOA with what looked
like a PS issue and one that had a stick of ram failed, but that's it
about a year and a half.  Any Tier-2 integrator should be able to order
them, at least that's the case in the US.

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/sr1300/index.htm?iid=3Dipp_srvr+srvrcha=
ssis_sr1300&

-- Brooks

--=20