Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 1998 12:24:59 -0500
From:      "M. Poulin" <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        "Tegels, Kent" <KTegels@hdrinc.com>
Cc:        "'FREEBSD-NEWBIES@freebsd.org'" <FREEBSD-NEWBIES@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Whoa is me about KDE...

You should really be asking in -questions, not -newbies.

I did notice one thing in your question - it sounds like you are typing "startkde" on the command line.  Are you?  If so, that is why you are getting the error.  You have to put "startkde" into the .xinitrc file, then start X by typing "startx" on the command line.

Hope this helps.