Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:00:54 GMT
From:      Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Samba with PAM

On 02/02/2002 at 11:55:33, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> Anyone here know the appropriate entries required in /etc/pam.conf to
> get samba working with PAM? I really want to get away from using
> /usr/local/private/smbpasswd.

I thought about doing this too but there's a big downside as stated in
/usr/local/share/doc/samba/htmldocs/PAM-Authentication-And-Samba.html in=

that:

Note that Samba always ignores PAM for authentication in the case of
encrypt passwords =3D yes. The reason is that PAM modules cannot support=

the challenge/response authentication mechanism needed in the presence
of SMB password encryption.

This would defeat interoperability with some Windows clients in standard=

configuration.

Regards,
Neil Darlow M.Sc.